Monday, May 5, 2014

Cracking the Whip



It's Monday again. 

I am trying to make myself go to yoga. Mondays are hard. 

Being your own boss is difficult. You have to be your own cheerleader and task master. This seems like research from the Department of Duh, but I am here to tell you that it is WAY HARDER than it sounds. 

We get all over kids for putting stuff off and and not being all focused and whatnot, but I have just spent the past two hours watching cat videos and drinking coffee. I maybe paid some bills in there, but I can seriously waste some time if I want to. 

I am the Queen of Procrastination, so forcing myself to do something early is challenging. I threaten myself and try to convince myself that if something happens and I get sick or the computer dies or whatever then I am ahead and I can still meet my deadlines and not be irresponsible. So I write two weeks' worth of stuff and feel all proud of myself then go back to watching cat videos and looking at houses in Baltimore for two weeks and am then no longer ahead. I am out of bourbon currently, so there is no drinking but there is lots of coffee which makes my fingertips feel ELECTRIC and my heart feel a little jumpy which is always interesting. 

I should be developing my website, writing nine articles that are due Friday and another one that isn't due but would be nice to write ahead of time. At the very least I should mow the lawn so the neighbors don't hate me, but there are SNAKES out there and I almost stepped on one last time. 

It is beautiful this morning in the way the south is beautiful for about two months out of the year where the sky is so crispy blue that it looks like the trees are outlined in black. We happen to have particularly comfortable rocking-type chairs out back, so I can move from shade to shade and watch the leaves flutter for hours.

CRAP.

Yoga in 30 minutes. I am out of here.

Image by davidd via Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment