Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentersary

Dane nearly blew it when we first met.

We met on the February 12, 1999, two days before Valentine's Day, a bullshit Hallmark holiday if there ever was one. But still. My previous boyfriend decided he had been a jackass and was pitching woo pretty hard. I was mostly disinterested, but he invited me to a Sonics game on Valentine's Day, and I am not one to turn down a sporting event, so off we went. Dane, on the other hand, called me on the 14th at 3pm and asked if I had plans. Too late, sucka. I told him where I was going.

Turns out he had tickets, too. Better seats than ours.

Two days later we would have our first date, but that epic fail at the very beginning has always been a source of amusement. Every year from that point on, Dane always made a point to celebrate both days concurrently. Last year, two days before his death, he sent me flowers to my mom's house in Pennsylvania where I was staying. These are them.


(The card said, "Happy Valentersary!")
 
 
Much love in my heart for my sweet today. Sadness, but also profound gratitude. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment