Friday, June 6, 2014

The New Black

Courage


I spent 60 seconds upside-down yesterday.

In a handstand.

Away from the wall.

The yoga teacher instructed us to fearlessly and courageously set ourselves up. I did, and on the second kick, up I went. I was so shocked I almost fell over.

For some of you, this is no big deal. You may spend the vast majority of your life, fearlessly and courageously upside-down. Maybe a handstand is no big deal.

For me, it's huge.

Like the first time I did crow pose, which seems easy but was not for me, this handstand (and the one after it. Had to make sure it wasn't a fluke) represents faith and trust in myself and my ability to support myself. It required a willingness to go into it whole-heartedly. It required belief.

In the end, it was almost accidental. Which seems to be the story of all of the changes that are happening in my life over the past year and a half.

Courage and fearlessness. It's the new black.

Image by Nishanth Jois via Flickr

2 comments:

  1. Yay, me! The best part is letting go and seeing the work pay off. Sometimes it seems like the steps are so small that I am marching in place, but finally feeling the weightlessness and letting go in this was pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete